Letting go is change. Change can be gradual or abrupt. Certainly Lao Tzu’s journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. As a holistic health guide, I believe the healing of a trillion cells begins with a single bite.
Slow and steady wins the race is quite effective. That being said, I must confess that I am a huge fan of abrupt change. I released most of these six things by cannonballing into change similar to braving a Polar Bear Plunge, a Goose Bump Jump, a Penguin Plummet, or insert your preferred cute catch phrase fitting for when insane people wearing nothing but swimsuits jump into icy winter water. Just like a frigid fun lake leap, cold turkey change is head first, all at once, not conducive to toe testing, crazy, communal, fun, and awakening, yet still requires a daily practice for transformative sustenance.
Some of these things I let go years ago, others more recently requiring more daily awareness and intention. The more I release, the more I abundantly nourish my happiness and health along with the happiness and health of my loved ones. Oh the joyous irony of life!
1. LET GO OF GRAINS, STARCHY VEGGIES, AND SUGAR – You can bake almost anything using almond flour, like chocolate cake. Coconut flour is another baking option. Raw honey is an amazing anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal sweetener to make all sorts of goodies, like chocolate pie. Butternut squash serves as a delicious potato alternative. Fire fries are spicy and yummy! Letting go of these specific carbohydrates, you will feel mentally, physically, and amazingly alive. On a personal note, I and my kiddos are now liberated from the previous restraints of autism, dyslexia, dyspraxia of speech, OCD, ADD, anxiety, asthma, skin conditions, and hypoglycemia by being grain free, starchy veggie free, and sugar free. Nourishing the body with quality meats, fats, most veggies and fruits, broths, ferments, and juicing (without grains, starchy veggies, and sugar) is the cornerstone of gut healing with the GAPS (Gut and Psychology/Physiology Syndrome) protocol.
2. LET GO OF RESTRICTIONS ON FATS, PROTEIN, AND VEGGIES – It’s what MEFAVE and FAVE meals and dishes are all about!
MEat (Protein) + FAt + VEggie (Carb) = MEFAVE
FAt + VEggie (Carb) = FAVE
Eat all the quality meats, fats, and veggies you want. Go ahead, eat until you are full! I consume anywhere from ½ -1 cup of total fats each day. Fats don’t make you fat. They make you feel full, happy, and healthy!
What do you first think of when you think of carbs? Foods like bread and pasta made from grains, right? But veggies and fruits are also carbohydrates. Change your way of thinking to improve your health. Think of veggies first when thinking of carbs. It’s the reason the VE in MEFAVE and FAVE is veggie. (Plus, MEFACA and FACA sound unappetizing to say the least!) Grains are rough on the digestive system and are not GAPS legal. Focus on nutrient dense veggies and fruits that are organic and/or local. Remember MEFAVE and FAVE to nourish your health and happiness with each meal or dish you choose.
FYI: Nuts contain all three macronutrients – protein, fat, and carbs. I often lump nuts in with the VE (Carb) category in my MEFAVE and FAVE suggestions.
3. LET GO OF SCALES – No longer voluntarily step on scales. If some day in your future, a medical professional requests your weight, you can oblige, but no longer make it a daily punishing event. By releasing this act of societal judgment and personal pressure, you will magnify self love and acceptance.
4. LET GO OF BRAS – Bouncing your boobs releases toxins and frees the spirit. See my post “I Love Boobs”, lest I ramble on and turn this into yet another boob blog post.
5. LET GO OF DEODORANT, LOTION, TOOTHPASTE, AND SHAMPOO – Use coconut oil as deodorant and lotion. For a great probiotic lotion, consider homemade sour cream. For oral health, brush your teeth with baking soda and oil pull with coconut oil. Shampoo your hair using baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Remember to only put edible things on your skin to reduce your toxic burden.
6. LET GO OF SCARCITY – So much of the fear, competition, inadequacy, criticism and negativity in our lives stems from the long held scarcity belief of not being or having enough. Let go of these limiting beliefs because you are more than enough. You are full of possibilities. You are love. Unlock abundant love, resources, creativity, and time with gratitude. Being thankful for things right now nourishes your happiness.
The life waiting for us is full of health and happiness! Go ahead, let go!